Monday, February 21, 2011

Beckett's hospital stay

On Sunday afternoon I had noticed Beckett sleeping more than usual and it was hard to keep him awake. As we where getting ready for bed I thought he seemed a little warm but he did not have a fever so I fed him and put him down for the night. All night long he would wake up and cry, but I could not get him to eat at all. He would just wake and cry....as the night was turning into very early morning.... I just knew something was wrong he seemed warmer, was breathing harder and sounded horrible. The last time he ate was at 10pm 3oz. Matt and I did everything we could think of to make him more comfortable. We started a humidifier, I put him in his bouncer to sleep so he could be more up right. Matt made me a bed next to the bouncer so I could be as close to him as poss. I wanted to take him into the ER but with it being around 6am at this point we decide to wait and call the Doc. I figured we would pro. have a very long ER. As soon as it turned 8:30 I called the doc. they had a appt. at 10 so we took it. I got ready and left around 9:30 the weather was bad on Monday morning so I needed to give myself extra time to get there. On top of that half way there I realized I had spaced and forgot to put a jacket on and man was it cold. When we got into a room the nurse took his temp. it was almost 102. She looked at me and said don't be surprised if they send you next door to the hospital. She went to get the doc. and after her looking him over she decide that we would be going over to the hospital to get further test done and most likely at least stay the night. As we where leaving the nurse wanted to know where my jacket was I told her with being is such a hurry and worrying about Beckett I had forgotten to grab it. She insisted that I take hers and when we got over to the Hospital (Hamot) to give it to the Doc. and he would get it back to her. So Beckett and I walked over to Hamot it was just across the street but I thought we would never make it. It was sooooo cold(snow was all over the ground) and windy his car seat cover kept blowing up so I was trying to hold it down and push the stroller at the same time.



We made it over to the Hospital and got all checked in. They put him on a monitor to check heart rate and oxygen level. For quite a few hours he just layed there in the bed so they could monitor him no tent yet or anything. He drop just a bit at first in oxygen but after time it started to get very low. So up went the tent with oxygen and a cool mist dehumidifier. (He stayed in this tent almost around the clock for 7 days.) I did take him out to eat the first day or two when he actually would eat but after that I even had to feed him in the tent. They first day he got blood taken to check for any type of infection sense he had a fever. He also got cathed twice, first try she could not get any urine(he was becoming dehydrated) second time we got just enough. I thought I was going to loose it when I watched her stick a small tube up his penis to collect it, he also got a chest x-ray.

Around 1am in the morning the first test came back that he indeed had RSV. For that the doctor, said all they could do to treat it was manage the symptoms. He would at least be her for a few days. At around 4 am the chest x-ray came back and they had found fluid in his left lung. Which meant that he had pneumonia. When doc. told us this..... he said we would be staying tell it was gone. So the plan to get him better began early in the morning on Tuesday. An IV team came up to put in an IV for meds and to hydrated him. He got his meds every 4 hrs. He also got round the clock breathing treatments (they where every 3 hrs). To top that off he was checked on at least every 2 to 3 hrs by a nurse(she would listen to his lungs) sometimes earlier if a alarm went off. Plus every 3 to 4 hrs he would get a rectal temp taken. Not to mention I was still trying to feed him every 3 to 4 hrs also.... if he would eat. So needless to say I was VERY tired and emotionally drained. Beckett's breathing by Wed night and early Thursday morning was getting worse. Our doc. was starting to worry and told me that they may send our little guy to Pittsburgh if he does not improve soon. She wanted to try a stronger steroid in the breathing treatments to see if that would work. They could only use this steroid a few times, due to him being so little, so if it did not improve his breathing we would be going to Pitts. She also said we would be in the hospital for about 5 more days. Thursday afternoon I got some really exciting news.....my mom called and said that my dad was getting on a plane to come to help out. We had many friends and ward members taking care of our boys so Matt could still go to school. They brought in food, watched the boys, cleaned my house, and everyone was praying for us. Also on Thursday night we got some bad news that Matt's parents and grandparents had been in a car accident traveling home from Heber where they are working on a new summer home. His parents and grandpa were able to escape with minor injuries... but his grandma had to be air lifted to Flagstaff. This is when I lost it...I had been staying strong all week long and this broke the straw. Between not being able to be with my boys at home or my husband and having are new little guy in the hospital not knowing when he was coming home. I just cried and cried....the nurses where great and very understanding. I wanted nothing more at this time to be back at home in AZ surrounded by family. I was so thankful that my dad was on his way. He arrived around 10pm and came up to see me and Beckett. I had not seen dad for 7mths it was such a blessing to have him here with us!!!! As we started the weekend Beckett started to improve...... his fever was gone by Friday and he started to sound lots better. He developed this horrible cough and would cough all the time when awake unless he had his pacifier in his mouth. Which was so sad to hear.


When the Doctor came in and saw him on Sunday morning he checked him out and said that he had improved so much that he could go home later that day!!! I was way excited to hear this but also a tad worried. I was worried that I would get him home and he might stop breathing during the night when I could not watch him...or that he would get worse again and we would be right back in the hospital. But I wanted nothing more than to sleep in my own bed and bring our sweet little guy back home to our family. The boys had missed him and I had missed all of my boys!!! So after being in the hospital sense Monday we where able to leave late Sunday. He was sent home with antibiotics and we had to do breathing treatments every 4hrs at home. It was nice to go home!!
Our last day getting ready to leave to go home. It was nice to get him
out of the tent and spend sometime holding him on Sunday!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

what an awful thing to go through! so glad to know he's doing much better and you are back home with your family.

Julie said...

Wow! There is nothing worse than to have your baby in the hospital! That must have been so scary! I am so glad that he is home and fine now. You have the cutest family of boys ever!

Lindsay and Bobbie Brotherson said...

Britt, you seriously are super woman! I don't know how you survived all of that.

Staci said...

holy cow...wow super mom so glad all is well now and hope it doesnt happen ever again