When it rains it must pours over here! Now I am going to try, to not sound like I am complaining (but this is my blog)! Right after Pax, started to feel better (Thursday). I noticed when i put Carter down for bed that he had a runny nose and cough. When he woke the next morning he had a 103 temp, trouble breathing, wheezing, etc...
I called the doc. right away and they said to just come. So off we went on Friday to visit the doctor again for the 3rd time that week. When the doctor came in he new right away that it had to be RSV (but he did a q-tip swab and stuck it up Carter's nose for an RSV test) it came back positive.
I called the doc. right away and they said to just come. So off we went on Friday to visit the doctor again for the 3rd time that week. When the doctor came in he new right away that it had to be RSV (but he did a q-tip swab and stuck it up Carter's nose for an RSV test) it came back positive.
So what is RSV?
"Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is a virus that causes respiratory infections. It is very contagious, and it is the most common cause of bronchiolitis (inflammation of the bronchioles within the lungs) and pneumonia among infants and children under one year of age."
"Children usually develop symptoms of RSV about 3-5 days after being exposed to someone else who is sick with RSV, either by direct contact with their respiratory secretions or indirect contact with contaminated toys and other objects.
Again, the symptoms of RSV infections can range from having a simple clear runny nose and occasional cough that can be treated at home, to severe difficulty breathing that may require hospitalization. Other symptoms might include a low-grade fever, sore throat, headache, and irritability. Younger children, especially those under 2 or 3 years old, are most at risk for more severe symptoms, such as high fever, wheezing, difficulty breathing, a persistent cough, or apnea."
The doctor wanted to keep Carter out of the hospital if at all possible. So he decided to hit him hard. With Medications that is......
He wrote out 4 prescriptions, and then he has to take two over the counter medicine (ibuprofen, and benadral). One of the prescriptions was for breathing treatments with the nebulizer!






5 comments:
Oh no fun, no fun!! I'm so sorry Brit - we dealt with that last year and it is terrible! I hope he feels better soon and won't have to see any hospital time. Good luck!!
Oh, poor Carter! I hope he gets feeling better soon!
I SO feel for you!!! Landen has RSV right now too and has been on breathing treatments as well every 4 hours(see my blog). It's not fun at all- for the babies or mommies. I will keep little Carter (and you!) in my prayers.
Poor guy!! I'm so sorry. That's so hard when they get so sick. Hopefully he gets feeling better soon.
So sorry to hear that! We did RSV shots and stayed homebound for 4 mo after the boys were born because of the risk. It's serious stuff. Glad you've avoided the hospital. Take it easy as best you can and hopefully he mellows a little on the breathing treatments. Take care.
Post a Comment